One injured following fire on Diamond Street

0
313
The North Attleborough Fire Department extinguished a two-alarm house fire at 5 Diamond St. reported at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 25. Courtesy photo/Aidan Farrell 
MM5 Digital Marketing, helping businesses grow! Call or Text Desiree 614-264-7393

max.bowen@northstarreporter.com 

A resident of 5 Diamond St. was hospitalized following a two-alarm fire Monday morning, according to the North Attleborough Fire Department.

According to a preliminary investigation, the fire does not appear to be suspicious and may have originated from the home’s electrical wiring, the department reported.

According to information provided by the department, the fire was reported at approximately 10 a.m. on Monday, March 25. Two neighbors saw the fire and alerted a resident who was asleep inside the house. The resident, a middle-aged man was able to escape the home. He was transported to Rhode Island Hospital by the Attleboro Fire Department with serious injures. 

The home was deemed uninhabitable due to significant water, fire and smoke damage. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the resident. 

“Today’s windy conditions added another layer of difficulty to our response; however, we were able to contain the fire from spreading to nearby homes thanks to the quick work of our firefighters and mutual aid partners,” Fire Chief Christopher Coleman said. “I would also like to commend the two neighbors who stepped into action to alert the resident to the fire. Thanks to their quick actions, the resident was able to escape the fire and receive emergency  care before being transported to a local hospital for further treatment.”

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered heavy fire and smoke coming from the front and side of the one-story home. The two-alarm fire saw mutual aid from Plainville, Foxboro, Attleboro, and Cumberland, Rhode Island departments, North Attleborough reported. The Wrentham, Rehoboth and Mansfield departments provided station coverage.

“Firefighters conducted an aggressive exterior attack to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes before entering the home,” the department reported. “The fire was knocked down by 11:30 a.m. and  the scene was cleared by 12:30 p.m.”

The fire is under investigation by the North Attleborough Fire Department, North Attleborough Police Department and the State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit attached to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.