The library’s annual meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 9, at 7 p.m. at the library. Officers and additional board members will be elected, and the proposed budget for next year will be voted on. The public is invited to attend. There are a couple of spaces open for new board members, a great volunteer opportunity.
The board made the decision to waive membership fees in April 2020 and have decided this was the year to restart the Friends lists with something fun for all. What could be more fun than a scavenger hunt? The library has partnered with some of the downtown businesses and invites the public to discover new ones and revisit established places. There is going to be a drawing for prizes at the end of the drive.
Come to the library for the membership envelope and sign up. The drive will start on May 10. Dues envelopes are available at the front desk and can be handed in to the staff. Details on the hunt will be provided at the library, or the envelope can be mailed in. Membership dues are still a bargain and have not changed in many years—family membership is $25 and individual is $20.
With lack of access to any type of storage, the library has made the decision to suspend Annual Book Sale again this year. Anyone with space available (approximately a four–five-month period) with access for the library to use as a collection/storage/sorting area, with bi-monthly preset times, there is a possible location to hold the sale in the fall. Please contact the library—the book sale has been by far the main source of income which continues the work of supporting the library.
The Richards Memorial Library is a valuable resource in the town providing many free services and opportunities to patrons.
These many programs include:
- Books, ebooks, games, DVDs, magazines, newspapers from the SAILS system
- 24-hour, 7 day a week internet access for reserving and/or renewing material or checking status
- Monthly library newsletter
- Computer access including Wi-Fi, various research, reference sites (NEW* Ancestry Library Edition (available in the library only)
- Adult programs including lectures, concerts, arts and crafts, reading groups
- Children’s programs including summer reading, Storytime, the STEAM activity cart, Playaways (audiobook devices), Wonderbooks (see Children’s staff for more information) and multiple homework help websites. See rmlonline.org for more information.
- Passes to museums and events including the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston (e-voucher), New England Aquarium in Boston (e-voucher), Boston Museum of Science (e-voucher).
- Reasonable, tax deductible dues for Friends