For the week of Feb. 20-27, the North Attleborough Fire Department responded to 93 calls for emergency assistance.
62 were EMS responses with 51 requiring advanced life support measures.
5 motor vehicle collisions with injuries
4 carbon monoxide alarm investigations
The remaining responses were due to a variety of otherwise unspecified reasons.
North Attleborough companies were requested at mutual aid events in Norton on Feb. 27, Attleboro on Feb. 26, and in Wrentham on Feb. 25.
As a reminder, be cautious of ice. NAFD does not certify whether any bodies of water are safe to be on. The department advises residents to stay off the ice and that it should be considered unsafe.
General ice and cold water safety
- Never go onto the ice alone, since it’s unlikely you will be able to call for help if you fall through the ice.
- Always keep your pets on a leash. If a pet falls through the ice, do not attempt a rescue it. Call 911 instead.
- New ice is usually stronger than old ice. As the ice ages, the bond between the crystals decay, making it weaker, even if melting has not occurred.
- Beware of ice covered with snow. Snow can insulate ice and keep it strong, but can also insulate it to keep it from freezing.
- Slush is a danger sign, indicating that ice is no longer freezing from the bottom and can be weak or deteriorating.
- Ice formed over flowing water (rivers or lakes containing a large number of springs) is generally 15 percent weaker.
- Ice seldom freezes or thaws at a uniform rate. It can be one foot thick in one spot and be only one inch thick 10 feet away.
It is recommended to have home chimneys inspected and cleaned at least once a year to ensure the safe operation of the fireplace. Creosote build up can cause a fire inside the flue which can then spread to the main structure of a building. Cracks inside brickwork can allow dangerous materials, such as sparks, and gases like carbon monoxide to seep into the building, which can easily result in a dangerous and deadly situation. Enjoy the fireplace, keep warm, and please be safe.