Space heater likely cause of house fire

MM5 Digital Marketing, helping businesses grow! Call or Text Desiree 614-264-7393

By Max Bowen

North Attleborough Fire received a call of a space heater-related fire and later learned the smoke alarms weren’t functioning.

Crews responded to the fire at a home on Mt. Hope Street at 3:30 a.m. on Friday. Fire Chief Christopher Coleman said the “wall was glowing orange” and after gaining entry, found the wall behind a space heater on fire. Six people were transported to Sturdy Memorial and Hasbro Children’s Hospital for smoke inhalation.

It was later determined that the smoke detectors weren’t working at the time of the fire and the people living there had been alerted when they smelled the smoke. The public is reminded to check to ensure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working. Heating caused 7,053 fires over the past five years and is the number two cause of home fires in Massachusetts.

The department was assisted by the Plainville, Attleboro, Cumberland and Foxboro Fire Departments.